Sunday 28 October 2012

Where have all the real sports gone?

Over the past few months the British media has failed to report on stories of Olympic sports; instead the stories on the back pages are about Twiddlidee United's overpaid striker not playing for eight weeks because he hurt his thumb.

I will keep this post relatively  short so as not to bore you but I feel that this needs to be said.

While I understand that most summer sports are not in season and winter sports haven't yet began, I feel that the British media have completely zoned out of Olympic sports in favour of sports such as football in which no incredible accomplishments can be made.

Over the course of this weekend I have seen tweets all across my twitter feed telling me about the Scottish Track Cycling Championships and yet I was unable to find it anywhere on TV or online; I know it isn't a big world class event but at the minimum I would have hoped for a live stream on the Red Button or the internet.

To give credit where credit is due I would like to point out that the British media has been covering the Lance Armstrong story extensively, however the reporters at big British papers like to report on hero to zero stories in an attempt to make their lives seem more worthy.

It is such a shame that after the golden summer of sport the British media fails to report on the type of stories that changed the nation but instead rambles on about the same dull sports that comprise of simple kicks of a ball that will ultimately result in one of 3 possible outcomes.

If there is not enough Olympic sport on TV, the legacy of London 2012 will be short lived and the games will fail in inspiring a generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment